Monday, January 2, 2012

Update on the Faculty Job Search

I still get quite a lot of hits for this blog, so I thought I should give an update and let you know that my K99 grant was in fact funded.  I'm currently trying to land the elusive faculty position because my K99 time period is only 1 year.    I sent out about 50 applications as I'm not really limited geographically and my research can fit into a lot of different settings.  However, this application process has been one of the most humbling experiences of my life.   In the days before Christmas, I received outright rejections from more than half of the departments I applied to.  It just goes to show that a good publication record and a history of funding is still not enough.  The letters often commented on how they received between 400 and 600 applications for the position.  Those are pretty terrible odds. 

However, there is still some hope.  I've had 5 requests for reference letters from places that I'm excited about and still waiting to hear from.  Plus,  I do have one (and only one) interview scheduled for later this month at a school that I'm getting more and more excited about the more I read about it.  I'll let you know how it goes.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes i can see a lot of Hints in your blog such as example resume
    e

    Thank you very much

    ReplyDelete